[Kd1871-covenant-solidarity] Francis announces a Year of Mercy

maria maria at schoenstatt.org
Fri Mar 13 21:51:45 CET 2015

Pope Francis presided over a penance service in St. Peter's Basilica on
Friday afternoon, during which he announced an extraordinary Jubilee
dedicated to Divine Mercy. Below, please find Vatican Radio's English
translation of the Holy Father's homily, in which he made the announcement.

This year as last, as we head into of the Fourth Sunday of Lent, we are
gathered to celebrate the penitential liturgy. We are united with so
many Christians, who, in every part of the world, have accepted the
invitation to live this moment as a sign of the goodness of the Lord.
The Sacrament of Reconciliation, in fact, allows us with confidence to
draw near to the Father, in order to be certain of His pardon. He really
is “rich in mercy” and extends His mercy with abundance over those who
turn to Him with a sincere heart.

To be here in order to experience His love, however, is first of all the
fruit of His grace. As the Apostle Paul reminds us, God never ceases to
show the richness of His mercy throughout the ages. The transformation
of the heart that leads us to confess our sins is “God's gift”, it is
“His work” (cf. Eph 2:8-10). To be touched with tenderness by His hand
and shaped by His grace allows us, therefore, to approach the priest
without fear for our sins, but with the certainty of being welcomed by
him in the name of God, and understood notwithstanding our miseries.
Coming out of the confessional, we will feel God’s strength, which
restores life and returns the enthusiasm of faith.

The Gospel we have heard (cf. Lk 7:36-50) opens for us a path of hope
and comfort. It is good that we should feel that same compassionate gaze
of Jesus upon us, as when he perceived the sinful woman in the house of
the Pharisee. In this passage two words return before us with great
insistence: /love/ and /judgment/.

There is the love of the sinful woman, who humbles herself before the
Lord; but first there is the merciful love of Jesus for her, which
pushes her to approach. Her cry of repentance and joy washes the feet of
the Master, and her hair dries them with gratitude; her kisses are pure
expression of her affection; and the fragrant ointment poured out with
abundance attests how precious He is to her eyes. This woman’s every
gesture speaks of love and expresses her desire to have an unshakeable
certainty in her life: that of being forgiven. And Jesus gives this
assurance: welcoming her, He demonstrates God’s love for her, just for
her! Love and forgiveness are simultaneous: God forgives her much,
everything, because “she loved much” (Luke 7:47); and she adores Jesus
because she feels that in Him there is mercy and not condemnation.
Thanks to Jesus, God casts her many sins away behind Him, He remembers
them no more (cf. Is 43:25). For her, a new season now begins; she is
reborn in love, to a new life.

This woman has really met the Lord. In silence, she opened her heart to
Him; in pain, she showed repentance for her sins; with her tears, she
appealed to the goodness of God for forgiveness. For her, there will be
no judgment except that which comes from God, and this is the judgment
of mercy. The protagonist of this meeting is certainly the love that
goes beyond justice.

Simon the Pharisee, on the contrary, /cannot find the path of love/. He
stands firm upon the threshold of formality. He is not capable of taking
the next step to go meet Jesus, who brings him salvation. Simon limited
himself to inviting Jesus to dinner, but did not really welcome Him. In
his thoughts, he invokes only justice, and in so doing, he errs. /His
judgment on the woman distances him from the truth/ and does not allow
him even to understand who guest is. He stopped at the surface, he was
not able to look to the heart. Before Jesus’ parable and the question of
which a servant would love his master most, the Pharisee answered
correctly, “The one, to whom the master forgave most.” And Jesus does
not fail to make him observe: “Thou hast judged rightly. (Lk 7:43)” Only
when the judgment of Simon is turned toward love: then is he in the right.

The call of Jesus pushes each of us never to stop at the surface of
things, especially when we are dealing with a person. We are called to
look beyond, to focus on the heart to see how much generosity everyone
is capable. No one can be excluded from the mercy of God; everyone knows
the way to access it and the Church is /the house that welcomes all and
refuses no one/. Its doors remain wide open, so that those who are
touched by grace can find the certainty of forgiveness. The greater the
sin, so much the greater must be the love that the Church expresses
toward those who convert.

Dear brothers and sisters, I have often thought about how the Church
might make clear its mission of being a witness to mercy. It is journey
that begins with a spiritual conversion. For this reason, I have decided
to call an /extraordinary Jubilee/ that is to have the mercy of God at
its center. It shall be a Holy Year of Mercy. We want to live this Year
in the light of the Lord's words: “Be merciful, just as your Father is
merciful. (cf. Lk 6:36)”

This Holy Year will begin on this coming Solemnity of the Immaculate
Conception and will end on November 20, 2016, the Sunday dedicated to
Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe – and living face of the
Father’s mercy. I entrust the organization of this Jubilee to the
Pontifical Council for Promotion of the New Evangelization, that [the
dicastery] might animate it as a new stage in the journey of the Church
on its mission to bring to every person the Gospel of mercy.

I am convinced that the whole Church will find in this Jubilee the joy
needed to rediscover and make fruitful the mercy of God, with which all
of us are called to give consolation to every man and woman of our time.
From this moment, we entrust this Holy Year to the Mother of Mercy, that
she might turn her gaze upon us and watch over our journey.