[Kd1871-covenant-solidarity] Fires raging in Cape Town - a call for Covenant Solidarity

Sarah-Leah Pimentel 111slpimentel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 15:14:21 CET 2015

Thank you everyone, for the prayers!

It is frightening to watch everything burn around you.  From my office
windows at work, I can see huge clouds of smoke billowing up as the Tokai
forest burns. A few kilometres behind that is the Constantia Shrine.  The
wine farm across the road from the Shrine is already on fire.  Firefighters
and farm workers are battling the flames before it reaches the vines of
South Africa's oldest wine farm. Last night I watched Muizenberg burn from
my kitchen window till about 1am when the fire fighters stopped the flames
just before it reached the houses.  The wind then blew the flames south to
St James and Fishhoek, and before morning a few houses in Noordhoek were
caught.  To give you an idea of the fires, about 4,000 hectares of mostly
mountain and forest have burnt down already.

Today the temperatures are cooler and there were a few drops of rain which
has helped to settle the ash, but news reports say it's not enough to put
out the fires.

United in solidarity,
s-l

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Maria Fischer <maria.fischer at schoenstatt.org